Thursday, July 14, 2011

Why I didn't use Unity now..?

For a couple of weeks Oneiric grows up rapidly... so many people had experienced some newer gtk3 apps on the "shell". But today Unity is... umm.... damned.

Why?

I suppose some points:

1. Unity is too slow - yeah that's critical. wasting a lot in almost cases. the evil was compiz? or anything else?
2. Still haven't themerable - OMG... the Unity Panel is really ugly mad!! I think it's better to theming via ccsm or so.
3. Gnome-Shell is fast - yep. to load, switch to overview,  gtk3 compatibilities, indicators, almost is better than current Unity especially speed.
4. Number of bugs -  Unity has the flood of bugs in there. many cases had been kept remaining from Natty... when finished?
5. Unity-2D didn't follow 3D properly - yes. I really hate Unity-panel. on Oneiric, 2D panel looks ugly on the area of indicators.

So today I'm playing with Gnome-Shell or Pantheon....


I'm afraid that when Unity  work on Wayland??? be in time to release 12.04???

EDIT:
Here is my shot on today...
Yeah my Pantheon!! modded wingpanel and docky. and surely using elemetnary-borderless theming, you know.

2 comments:

  1. We're never satisfied.. :D
    I'm currently using Unity2D on both a nvidia250gts and also on the little poulsbo, I prefer over Unity3D/Compiz and I feel comfortably.
    Ambiance theme is enough good..i'm using it also to contribute with some code to the gtk3-css version.
    At the same time I can't get used with gnomeshell and pantheon as well (new wing-panel is really nice btw!)

    a couple of shots I was going to post in Screenshot thread:
    http://i.imgur.com/C1S4F.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/oNTYh.png

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luca. :)

    yeah that's right...
    and sounds cool that ambience theme had improved Unity appearance! I gotta try too.

    then about wingpanel, yep that's great. lightweight, sexy, and good compatibilities with current indicators. and developers now are considering some "css themeing" for wingpanel. OK Cool!! :-)

    so I might have to solve ugly appearance with elementary-gtk on Unity-panel... :)

    ReplyDelete